Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Inspections combined with Alignment Surveys of Crane Runways
Orbital Technical Solutions (OTS) provided Asset Integrity Services with use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and survey equipment. The equipment was used to complete visual inspections and surveys of two runways at a customer’s Facility that was experiencing crane wheel reliability issues while the Cranes continued to operate without an outage.
- Gathered data via a 16-inch diameter spherical caged UAV
- Alignment, elevation, gauge surveys and profile scans of two runways
- Squaring surveys of two overhead cranes
- Combined length of runway girders inspected was more than 1 mile
- Documented structural deficiencies, deformations and wear in girders, caps, tie-backs, bracing, rail splice plates and fasteners
This project evaluated the survey information generated during the inspection of the two runways. This evaluation along with the inspection provided the basis for recommended repairs to reduce the wearing of the crane wheels and crane rails.
The inspections and surveys were conducted while the cranes continued to operate. The inspection was performed over two days from the building floor, and required no scaffolding or special elevated access.
OTS continues to utilize the latest technology for cost-effective data collection solutions for our clients using UAVs and ROVs including Optical Gas Imaging (OGI), aerial mapping, thermal imaging, surveys and 3D imaging. Please reach out to me directly if you have any questions about our services or capabilities that we offer or to discuss a customized data collection solution for your specific needs. Thank you and have a good day!